Monday, October 21, 2019

INTERVIEW WITH KEITH KEMPER.. COMPOSER, ARRANGER PRODUCER

 
Keith Kemper is a musical mastermind! I have seen the man work and his skills and experience are second to none.  I became aware of Mr. Kemper through his work producing and perfecting tracks for Indie artist Zaylan. I knew as soon as I met him that I needed to ask him some questions and pass the answers on to my readers. Here is my interview with Keith Kemper..

NNY: How did you discover your passion for music?
KEITH: When I was 7 years Old My Grandmother bought me my first toy keyboard called the 'Bees Gees rhythm machine'...
I was playing Star Wars with 2 fingers afterwards LOL

NNY: Who were some of your musical influences coming up?
KEITH: When I was growing up my mother introduced me to disco music along with pop music from the radio.
Barry Manilow, Donna Summer, even the Bee Gees.
Also one of my influence was David Foster as a record producer.


NNY: How and when did you get started in the music business?
KEITH: In 1990 I went to an engineering school then I hooked up with a record label in 92 and have been producing ever since.


NNY: What’s your process like for making music? Do you have a set routine or does it vary song by song?
KEITH: I always create the melody playing the keyboard first then I start to structure the drums and then the other instruments like bass and piano or what ever the song calls for.
Then the arrangement comes, then mixdown.


 NNY: What has been the best moment in your music career so far?
KEITH: Working with The Village People and then Rupaul along with alot of Djs like Lenny Fontana, George Callie and many artist including Zaylan, Gene Roberts, D1 Music, Nivek Tek, Kimberly Davis, Shara Strand.etc.

NNY: How many songs have you been a part of and where can people find them?
KEITH: Too many to count and always working on new stuff all the time.
 

NNY: What advice would you give new artists who are trying to find their footing in the music industry?
KEITH: My Advice is to learn about the Business side.
Hire a lawyer that you can trust and to not let anyone take advantage of you and always get paid for your time and work.
Do not sell your soul it's not worth it.
Trust in Jesus he will take care of your needs.

NNY: Talk to me about the making of your latest project. What was the inspiration behind it?
KEITH: Working on a new song with Zaylan an awesome Disco House Classic style for his latest song called
I'm Getting up.
Zaylan was the inspiration with his chorus hook and I am working with the amazing Amoretto on her new song "And I Love You" its so good!
 
NNY: Where can people buy your music online?
KEITH: Any digital sites online thru CD Baby https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/KeithKemper and different record labels
 
NNY: So what’s next for you?
KEITH: Working on many projects including a new remix for Zaylan and working with George Callie as a colabration team also working with Val Records with a new RnB Pop Artist Chocolate Steele.


see a small sample of Keith's work: https://nubiannewyorkers.blogspot.com/2019/10/interview-with-composer-arranger.html 

2 comments:

  1. NubianNewYorkers, this is a really beautiful blog. Feels like i got to know the history of Keith Kemper even better and i have worked with him since 1998

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene Roberts might be the worst I have ever heard. And I read something about Gene Roberts being a scammer claiming to be the “lead Zombie” in a movie when he wasn’t the lead anything. The actor was another guy but Gene Roberts was taking credit for that guys work.

    ReplyDelete